Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Life with a kitten

It's been awhile since I have had a kitten in the house. I have forgotten just how much joy, smiles, and laughter they can bring. And just how fearless they are when they realize their territory, or what they consider their jungle, you call your house, is.

Miss Jasmine has certainly come out of her shell, is no longer afraid and has very much claimed all the house and plants as hers. Not to mention she has become a toy fiend. She simply loves toys and loves to play. She has also bonded with me very well, and has attuned herself to me. She seems to know the minute I am feeling sad or when grief hits when I am missing Djinn.

However, I am not overly sure that my poor houseplants will survive this little terror attacking them or playing hide and attack from their pots. It seems nothing is safe nor sacred with her. And a water squirt bottle only deters her while you are in the room. I came down this morning to one overturned larger plant that she obviously tried to climb, then had to dig some of the dirt out and scatter all the area rugs. Thank heavens for tile floors. She also has my husband firmly wrapped around her little tail. He's bought her several toys and most times seems he'd rather watch her play than watch his show on TV.

This little gal has some fun and new traits that are coming out (think Imp in a kitty suit). She simply loves it when hubby is playing Starcraft II on his computer, she is fascinated with it, and insists on checking out everything on the monitor, which while it frustrates him, makes him laugh at the same time. She likes watching the computers when she can, and loves to watch TV if there is enough action on it. She loves to talk to me vocally, and with her eyes. She is a purring machine and the moment she scoots up onto my chest where ever I am at, she's purring furiously and giving me the "I Loooove you sooooo much" look. She runs around when she is full of piss and vinegar like a little monkey and is all over everything. She simply loves to torment Yummy as much as possible, and he is so tolerant, but when he's had enough, he'll grab her in a bear hug, hold her down and wash her till she screams. Mr. Mom he is. She also is not friends with the dogs yet, and plays the hunter stalking prey every time they are let out in the main part of the house. She talks loudly when it's supper time, attacks poor unsuspecting toes from under the bed (they may never be the same again), stretches out to seemingly be the longest kitten in history on the bed at night, and certainly tells you in no uncertain terms if you have offended her in some way. Last night she wanted to be lovey while I was chatting with my friend on my phone via text. I happen to have a phone charm of the Cheshire Cat on my phone and its dangling there was too much temptation. I think received enough pokey holes in my fingers trying to type while being attacked, to qualify for acupuncture. She is also the most lovey and cuddly little thing when she wants her loving and wants to give her love. She loves to rub on my face and have me kiss her. Seems in my arms on my chest is her secure place, no lap for her, no siree, and usually while I am busy doing something with my hands, like type or crochet or some other silly thing. Thank heavens she hasn't figured out how to knock stuff off of the bathroom counter yet!

This past Saturday I finally was able to get her to my vet for her overall check and rabies shot. She enchanted everyone and was so good and well behaved, almost thought I'd brought the wrong cat in, but it was all good because she interacted with everyone. Even wanted to play with the vet's light for the otoscope when he checked it on the table. It was great to make him smile too. She is about the age we thought she was, the shelter had way over estimated her age and weight when we adopted her. Currently she's about 4 months now and is 4 lbs. And she received a very clean bill of health. It was also nice to take a healthy active kitten in for once instead of a pet going through end of life situations. And for once having been a feral stray kitten, this was a beautiful transformation to behold.

She has brought many smiles to the house again. I have certainly missed having a kitten in the house. And I am so glad she picked me. Truly they do pick us to share their lives with us. We just need to be receptive for them. She has helped me through my grief and loss so very much, and you can see her doing her best to keep me from being sad anymore.

0 comments:

Post a Comment